Tuesday 26 December 2017

Pub 150, Day 56 – Lord Nelson

By Andy

There are a handful of pubs around Bramall Lane whose trade is so intrinsically linked to matchdays, that it seems a shame to go at any other time.

(We learnt this the hard way when we went to the Railway Hotel on a random weeknight, and the landlord seemed annoyed that he had to look up from his newspaper to pour our pints.)

With Rob's knowledge of football being non-existent, it falls to me to arrange these visits. I selected Boxing Day as we would both be in Sheffield, and I wouldn't have work the next day – the perfect opportunity for a few post-match pints.

The plan was simple: I would be at the match, Rob would not. Therefore, Rob would arrive at the Lord Nelson before the game finished, buying a round and beating the queue.

Right, the game kicks off at 3, so it's important you get to the pub before 5,” I explained. “The place will be dead, you can get a round in, and we'll be on to the next pub in no time. But if you turn up after 5, we won't even get served until 6...”

Rob nodded, but I wasn't sure it had quite sunk in, so I doubled down.

Just set off in plenty of time,” I pleaded, looking him in the eye like you would a child. “The Lord Nelson can be quite difficult to find...”

***

It was 5:30, and I was stood in a queue – nay, a mob – at the Lord Nelson. Rob meanwhile, was wandering the streets lost.

Thankfully, I had developed a useful strategy for queueing amongst your fellow football fans – smile at them, befriend them, ask if they enjoyed the game. Then, when they're distracted and telling you they're delighted United won because it was their first game since their dad died blah blah blah; cut in front of them. Yes pal, we're all Blades, but some of us want to get served before New Year's.

Just as I reached the bar, my phone started ringing. Unfortunately, the crush of people meant I had no chance of answering it, so my only option was to shift my weight slightly to stop it vibrating against the guy next to me, who was beginning to give me funny looks.

I purchased two pints of Mahou, deeming it to be both a suitable lager for football and a lesser-spotted beer for Pubquest.

Fighting my way from the bar, I saw Rob at the door. He was with his sister, Beki.

I've brought my sister, Beki,” he said, helpfully. “I tried to call to let you know.”

Ah,” I said, handing a Mahou to Rob and keeping one for me.

A gentleman such as myself should have given his drink to Beki, and rejoined the back of the queue. A caring big brother such as Rob should definitely have given his drink to Beki, and gone to buy another.

Neither of the above transpired, leaving Beki – approximately 5 foot 2 – to push her way into a mob of several dozen overweight football fans.

Although Rob felt slightly bad, I quickly reminded him that we once left Rob's other sister, Reanna, alone at a bus stop in Birley at night, and this dereliction of big brother duty was relatively minor in comparison.

Suitably comforted, we began our Mahou – a pleasant lager, but one that felt more suited to July in Madrid rather than December on Arundel Street.

However, even though the lager didn't quite hit the spot, we both agreed the Lord Nelson was an enjoyable visit. It seemed to make the transition from pleasant pub to raucous boozer with ease, keeping everybody happy. Inside, there were comfortable seating areas and several guest ales; while outside there was plenty of standing room and ample opportunity to shout abuse at passing away fans.

Just as we finished our drinks, Beki finally returned with her pint.

C'mon, share it out,” asserted Rob, pouring a third of the beer into his glass, then a third into mine. “We'd do the same for you.”

Pub: Lord Nelson (166 Arundel Street, S1 4RE)
Rating: 7/10
Pint: Mahou

No comments:

Post a Comment